13 July 2010

blueberry.


i have never been one that has truly enjoyed blueberries...until i got pregnant. before, i could take them or leave them. this summer, i'm throwing them in everything. oatmeal, protein shakes, cottage cheese, yogurt, and popping them in my mouth, whole, at all times during the day. luckily for me, blueberries are a superfood, packed with antioxidants and phytoflavinoids (the darker they are, the more they have...it's true). they are also high in potassium and vitamin c, as well as being an anti-inflammatory. pregnant and dealing with some swelling? i haven't yet, but maybe its because i've been pounding these babies by the handful.

texas grows some nice, big, sweet ones that are just begging for me to put them into a recipe. these are a few i've found:


any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

on another note - usually when i make some morning oatmeal, i usually just pop it in the microwave, throw on some toppings and call it good. today, i made it with almond milk over the stove, and let me tell you, it was so much better. sure does say a lot about taking your time to make a meal...you just enjoy it more. and of course, they were that much better with a little cinnamon and blueberries on top.

happy tuesday. it's a scorcher here - i'll be by the pool if you need me. xo.

3 comments:

Morgan@LittleHouseofVeggies said...

Oats over the stove are so much better! THe texture to me is different.
Ok, my favorite way to have blueberries is just like the grapes. Frozen. I suck on them like candy. Its so good, and no cooking required!

Amy said...

I LOVE blueberries, to death. One of my favorite but probably less healthy ways to eat them is covered in dark chocolate.

Ashley and Ezra said...

Ive never been a big fan of the blueberrie either, but I bet they are helping with your swelling... I should try some! Yesterday my feet looked like elephant feet! Yep, gotta love pregnancy!